Several renters have become interested in living more sustainably. And a large part of sustainable living is reusing food containers as often as possible. Glass jars are specially easy to repurpose since they can be washed and then re-filled or is used to build something new. If you’ve been looking for ways to reuse glass jars, here are ten ideas to get you started!
- Store bulk food items. Clean glass jars are great for storing food items bought in bulk, including nuts and seeds, grains, and baking essentials.
- Quick and easy meals. Use glass jars to store your leftovers or to make overnight oats for delicious breakfast. For lunch, you can layer salad and toppings in a jar for easy take-along meal.
- Drinks all around! Few glass jars can make fun glassware for beverages. Canning jars are also sturdier than many other types of glassware, making them ideal for the dishwasher and to use for all sorts of events, indoors and out.
- Create a hanging spice rack. Small glass jars can make a artistic and structured hanging spice rack for your kitchen. Just screw the lids of baby food jars to the underside of your cabinets, fill the jars with your favorite spices, and twist them on. This idea works great in the garage to store small hardware, too!
- Add natural beauty. For a fast and easy-going touch of beauty, why not use a glass jar as a vase? Add flowers and water and display them in your favorite spot.
- Light it up. Repurposed glass jars also work well as tealight holders. To create one, fill the bottom of a clean glass jar with sand, beads, or tiny pebbles, and add a tealight candle. Display on a table, or add a handle of wire or twine to hang
- Get down to earth. One more creative way to use glass jars is to build a terrarium. Using soil, pebbles, bark, dried flowers, or something else, make a visually interesting display in a jar. These work great for home décor or to give as gifts.
- Give the gift of dessert. You can use repurposed glass jars to create a tasty treat for friends and neighbors. Layer the dry ingredients for cookies or brownies in the jar, add a bow and baking instructions, and gift away!
- Helpful home storage. Glass jars work extremely well to store small household items, such as cotton swabs, makeup, office supplies, and more. For an even more creative twist, you could decorate the jar with paint, markers, or ribbon and then display it on a vanity, shelf, or desk.
- Save it up. If you are saving up for something special, you can use one or more glass jars to help you see the progress you are making. Glass jars can hold loose coins and bills or even slips of paper. Place them in and watch your savings grow towards your dreams!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.